Is it possible to migrate from Magento to Shopify in the short term without losing important data? Yes. However, in this process, there are a number of nuances and secrets that you need to consider. When migrating from Magento to Shopify, you need to take into account that these are different platforms, which means that the ways of using the stored data are also different. Therefore, there is no universal option for all occasions. Migrate your History safely and do it correctly. In this article, we will cover all important aspects of migration and provide you with Magento to Shopify migration checklist for quick and easy migration.
How to migrate from a Magento to Shopify platform: our experience
When our team of developers faced the task of migrating data from Magento to Shopify, we decided to thoroughly study this issue.
This allowed us to better understand the problems that entrepreneurs face in the process of migration. This knowledge has helped our partners, which we conducted on this process. Therefore, it will be useful for you if you are facing the same task.
Let’s move closer to the problems and finally get the answers on how to migrate Magento to Shopify!
What tools does the market offer to solve this problem?
So how to migrate from Magento to Shopify? Are there any tricks that you may use? Indeed there are.
- If you're a Shopify Plus customer, you're lucky. You can save your money through the migration service from Shopify as well as the Transporter app
- Use a ready-made application for automatic migration, for example, Cart2Cart
- Use the virtual assistants' services in case you have a small amount of data
If you used the standard Magento package with no integrations and customizations, then you can give up reading this review, as these tools will completely solve your problem.
But our experience with partners shows that there are very few such cases. Any business is engaged in marketing and operational efficiency. Therefore, we come across stock management applications, CRM, marketing tools, additional fields and product customizations, user and order records that are linked to Magento. It requires more attention as well as the work of a technical partner.
What else to consider besides data when moving from Magento to Shopify?
In any process, there are key control points that you should pay attention to so that the work is performed efficiently and your business is not affected. If you want to migrate products from Magento to Shopify, it is not only data transfer but also additional important aspects, without which you can lose traffic, conversions, and customer loyalty.
- SEO. This is what brings you organic traffic right now. And if you neither pay attention to the new site structure nor prepare 301 redirects from old pages to new ones, this will significantly affect your traffic and search results.
- Adaptation of old content to a new theme. Your content contains tags from the previous platform and during migration they are more likely to be moved. But there is no guarantee that it will look good on the new platform. Therefore, you should think in advance about how to fix this after the migration and before the launch of a new store.
- Migration of graphic content from product descriptions, blogs, categories, and other pages. This is not on the surface, as this information is not stored in the database. We have simple links in the content to the images. It is important to move these images to a new platform and replace all links with the correct ones.
- Transferring static source collections to automatic collections in Shopify. This is a powerful directory management tool, and if you do not take this into account during migration, you will have to manage the directory manually.
- Integrations and your automation. This is an important part of the business that reduces your operating costs. And if you do not take the time, you may expect difficulties processing orders, managing balances, or preparing marketing companies.
How to organize the migration process correctly?
The process of moving from Magento to Shopify can be split into 4 main phases. Below we will step-by-step tell you about each of them.
Analysis of data migration from Magento to Shopify
First, you need to decide exactly what information you want to migrate from Magento to Shopify. This is important for choosing the best migration option.
At this stage, it is important to involve a technical migration partner for analysis. This will save you time and budget. A technical partner will be able to analyze data, customizations, integrations and draw up an optimal migration plan by choosing the right tools.
What data can be transferred from Magento to Shopify:
- goods (product name, images, description, a number of goods in stock, price);
- the visual component of the product (color, size, shape, detail of the product);
- data on orders that contain payment information, a list of purchased goods, information about customers, the total amount of the purchase;
- page content, including static pages such as Contacts, About Us, and Blog Pages;
- images embedded in the content and the main pages;
- customer details (name, email address, phone number, location, and other relevant information);
- information about discounts and benefits;
- SEO settings, including 301 redirects to save your current search rankings;
- integration with various services.
Moving from Magento to Shopify
Moving your site from Magento to Shopify.
Finding the best migration way depends entirely on the previous step.
It could be:
- Using only ready-made migration applications
- Using a combination of ready-made applications for one piece of data and native applications for specific data
- In some cases, virtual assistants may choose what to use.
- In the most difficult situations, a fully custom solution is implemented
What KPIs you should use to choose the best way:
- Price. When moving from Magento to Shopify, remember that the best doesn't mean expensive, if part of the process can be made cheaper, it is better to do that.
- Speed. This is sometimes a critical factor.
- Quality and completeness of data.
- Balancing among these criteria you will determine the best way for you together with your technical partner. Take care of your History doing safe migration.
Case of Magento to Shopify migration
Here is one of our cases, when using a ready-made solution for migration, our partner failed to solve the task. This application did not allow our Shopify developers team to flexibly customize data migration. Our client set the task to transfer the data in a new form with a new structure, which is simply impossible to accomplish in Cart2Cart. Due to these circumstances, we continued to look for other solutions.
The project we were developing included the Linnworks inventory management system. We studied this system and found the possibility of writing a custom solution for data migration from one system to another. This service has a convenient opportunity to migrate data in various ways. For example, to migrate the export data directly to another server for further processing. This operation can be performed on a regular basis in case you need to maintain the databases of the two systems in the same state.
To achieve this goal, we decided to write our own application that will process the data upload and transfer the data to Shopify. We implemented this functionality in the form of a Shopify application, which is accessible from the admin area of the store.
In the application, the store owner has the opportunity to create a list of SKU (Stock Keeping Unit), which he wants to migrate. This, by the way, is one of the requirements, because Cart2Cart did not work for us. Our team of developers was set to export only the products required, not everything.
Additionally, we retained the relation of product identifiers in Shopify to the SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) of goods in Linnworks. This is done in order to be able to update products in Shopify when they are updated in Linnworks. This ensures complete synchronization of products in two databases - Shopify and Linnworks.
As you can see, the option of writing your own application is resorted to when you need to solve non-trivial tasks related to data migration. The better way to keep your data and history safe is cooperation with experienced developers who truly may ensure the right process.
This step depends on the method you choose on how to migrate Magento to Shopify. The duration of the data migration process will depend on the amount of this data and can last from several minutes to several hours, sometimes even days.
Setting up web page redirection and saving positions in the search
When moving from Magento to Shopify, it is very important to save the current position of the site in the search system (Seo) and set up redirection of users to a new address. Then when you enter the old domain address, the user automatically gets to the new address of the site. In this case, all the properties of the old page are saved. That is what 301 Redirect is responsible for.
With the help of the correct setting of the redirect, you will save the authority of your domain name as well as your current ranking in the search engines.
Challenges of Migration from Magento to Shopify
When you decide to move from Magento to Shopify, it’s better to stick to Magento to Shopify migration checklist that we’ve described above. 4 basic steps will help avoid a huge bulk of problems that may appear during migration. However, there are some challenges you may still meet.
Incompetence of the team
When moving from Magento to Shopify, it’s highly important to work with a team of professionals who understand the consequences of their actions. The team must have expertise in migration to conduct this process easily.
Huge masses of information
To migrate products from Magento to Shopify, it’s important to transfer a huge amount of information and data. You need to be very careful with this point, as losing even the slightest piece of data may result in a catastrophe.
Losing control over the process
Are you sure that the information about the previous orders was saved during migration? Are you sure you have installed only the necessary apps? Have you followed Magento to Shopify migration checklist strictly? If the answer is no, perhaps you are losing control over the process.
How much does migration from Magento to Shopify cost?
Actually, it is difficult to answer this question. Each case of moving from Magento to Shopify is unique and requires a different amount of time. You need to focus on the cost of an hour of experts who perform the migration and on the quality of their work plan. Then you can make the right choice and compare several experts. If you see a big discrepancy in the plan and schedule of several experts, then this evidence shows that one of the experts did not consider all your features for safe migration. Thus, it will affect both the quality of the work performed and the change in the primary budget.
As you can see from this review, the process of migration data from Magento to Shopify depends on your goals and objectives. When you prepare to migrate from Magento to Shopify, you must answer a number of questions:
- What kind of data do you want to transfer?
- How much data?
- Is it necessary to maintain the relevance of data in the source database after the migration?
And the answers to these questions directly affect how exactly this process will be carried out and what results will follow.
Can you quickly migrate your Magento store to Shopify? Of course, you can. However, the successful implementation of this process without data loss is possible if you thoroughly know the technical part of the store and the method of migration that is right for you.
Feel free to ask questions, we are open to dialogue. And our experts are ready to guide you through the migration process. Any Magento to Shopify migration service you may need: we have them all!
Migrate your History safely. Do it correctly.