Checkout extensibility upgrade
The checkout extensibility upgrade makes it easier for sellers to customize their checkout experience using apps, safely update it, increase conversion, and integrate with Shop Pay. This applies to Shopify Plus. It includes a set of platform features that allow sellers to customize the checkout without code, as well as a set of developer tools for more advanced customization through apps.
The platform features that enable code-free customization for sellers include:
- Order editing: An intuitive drag-and-drop editor where sellers can customize the look and feel of their checkout by adjusting colors, fonts, logos, and adding new functionalities through app installations.
- Shopify Pixel Manager: A new section in the Shopify admin where sellers can safely add and manage pixels that track customer events.
- Shopify App Store order customizations: A collection of apps that sellers can install to add functionality to their checkout, built using Shopify's own interface components and APIs.
Developer tools for more advanced customization include:
- Checkout UI extensions: Allows app developers to create custom functions that sellers can install at specific points in the checkout process, including product information, shipping, payment, order summaries, and Shop Pay.
- Web pixel app extension: Adding program or custom pixels to your store can provide benefits such as accessing customer event data in your online store, additional security for your store and customers, and preventing third-party code from interfering with your online store and checkout.
- Branding API
- Shopify Functions
- Post-purchase extensions for payment customization
The checkout extensibility upgrade replaces the need for checkout.liquid. As a result, sellers who currently customize their checkout using checkout.liquid need to update their customization.
What are the benefits of checkout extensibility?
- Code-free customization: The new checkout editor allows you to customize the look and feel of the checkout, including colors, fonts, and logos. You can also quickly add new functionalities to the checkout by installing apps from the Shopify App Store and configuring them in the checkout editor.
- Speed and conversion improvements: Checkout extensibility improves conversion by speeding up the checkout process for your customers.
- Integration with Shop Pay: Easily add all or some of your checkout customizations to Shop Pay with a few clicks in the checkout editor.
- Increased conversion on mobile devices.
- New order customization features: When you switch to checkout extensibility, you instantly gain access to these new features as well as any future checkout features as they become available.
- Flexibility to create the experience you want: You can make advanced customizations to the look and feel of your checkout using the branding API and create individual customizations for your checkout by developing custom apps with Shopify's collection of components and APIs.
Note: It may not be possible to replicate all your checkout.liquid customizations using checkout extensibility at the moment.
Advantages of the Shopify Checkout Extensibility Upgrade:
New interactable features:
- Automatic discounts: Apply discount codes or codeless discounts contextually based on the items in the cart (e.g., "buy one, get one free" promotion).
- Conditional shipping rates: Adjust shipping rates based on specific conditions such as destination or total order value, providing more accurate shipping rates and improving the customer experience.
- Custom fields and messages: Provide additional product options or special delivery instructions, helping gather important information from customers during the checkout process.
- Custom payment methods: Add custom payment options or payment gateways not supported by Shopify.
In the admin panel, customers now have the ability to rearrange existing field structures, add new data collection capabilities, and utilize a set of codeless management tools.
The Checkout Extensibility also includes:
- Plug-and-play Checkout apps: Can be placed in the interface through drag-and-drop functionality.
- Checkout UI extensions: Allow developers to create unique and specific interface parameters during the checkout process. These extensions can directly expand product information, shipping, payment, order summaries, and Shop Pay options.
- Shopify Functions: Provide developers with the ability to customize the checkout logic and workflow, offering mechanisms to influence product delivery, order routing, package handling, verification procedures, payment options, and discounts.
- Post-purchase extensions: Enable merchants to add informational tools, data collection, or even upsell opportunities even after the initial purchase.
- Timer Bar: Adding a timer bar to the checkout page, especially effective for running sales or promotions, can increase average order value. It can also include relevant upsells and cross-sells, such as offering socks when someone purchases shoes.
- Trust badges: Adding trust badges to the checkout page can help instill trust in potential customers, increasing conversion rates. Trust badges often include guarantees like money-back guarantee, satisfaction guarantee, or free shipping guarantee.
- Shipping protection: If you sell physical products, it's important to include shipping information on the checkout page. This can include things like estimated shipping costs, shipping insurance, etc.
- Social proof: Social proof can be used to build trust and encourage customers to complete their purchase. This can include customer reviews or testimonials.
Overall, the Shopify Checkout Extensibility upgrade provides more flexibility, customization options, and enhanced user experience during the checkout process, leading to improved conversion rates and customer satisfaction.